Friday Frugal Finds: why I bought a HUGE, heavy door at a thrift store

I just have one find to share with you this week but it is a BIG find!  Big in size, and in the fact that I have been searching for this item for over 6 months.

I bought a door at a thrift store!  I was in my local thrift store and finally made it back to the household/construction type items corner (this place is HUGE so I try to conquer one area each time I go.)  And I found solid wood doors!  I have been browsing Craigslist, my local Habitat store, yard sales, flea markets, everywhere to find a solid wood door (less than $75).

I saw this door one day, but wanted my husband’s opinion on such a large item.  I asked the price, she said $60 (nothing is priced), and I said I would come back.

So a few days later, my husband and I stopped in to check it out.  He said yes to me purchasing it Winking smile, so once again I tried to find someone to give me a price.  I was hoping they would price it lower.  And they sure did – she said $25.00!  I hope I hid my excitement as I literally skipped away!.   Even better, I was shopping with my mom that day and she gets a senior discount (55+) of 25% so I got her to buy it for me.  And I walked out the door with a receipt for a solid wood door for $18.75.

The door is actually different on each side.  I will probably use the brown side above, but it is nice knowing that I have a second option.

Now you are probably reading and wondering, “What in the world is she going to do with this door?”

This is THE piece I have been waiting on to get started on transforming my guest bedroom.  I have furniture in there that I plan to paint, but I needed a different headboard as the mattress completely covers the tiny headboard.

So I needed a solid wood door (for cheap!) to make this….

door headboard (4)

picture from Infarrantly Creative

I can’t wait!  And I can’t believe I got a wood door for $18.75.  I couldn’t even buy a sheet of MDF for that.

Did you find any thing this week?  Have you ever searched for something for MONTHS and then finally found it?

Linking up to: Rhoda’s Thrifty Treasure party

SouthernHospThriftyTreasures copy_thumb

Comments

1. Whoo Hoo!! Can’t wait to see how it turns out!! Way to go bargain hunter!

2. Kelly Palmer says:

Yay for you! I am thinking about doing that exact same type of head board in our guest room too. Can’t wait to see how yours turns out 🙂

• Christina says:

really? I can’t wait to work on it. thinking I will put molding on the top and sides. Need to measure that and pick it up.

3. Cheryl Thornton says:

I am a new follower…wanted to read this post but an annoying pop up bar is covering the write-up…can you tell me how to get this bar to minimize…

• Christina says:

Hi, Cheryl – and welcome!

I think I fixed the bar now. Please let me know if it is still not letting you see the post. and thanks for letting me know too.

4. Awesome find at an awesome price–can’t wait to see the final “reveal”! 😉
    Rachel recently posted..The Author of My StoryMy Profile

5. Perfect! Oh wow.
    Donna Amis Davis recently posted..Gracia Burnham – Flying Again: 10 Years After the KidnappingMy Profile

6. Hi Christina! I love old doors! Went to Nicaragua over the summer and took so many pics of doors! New Follower over from ATL fb group!
    Hugs, Jen @ f5

7. LOVE that door! I’m holding out for something like that in our room. And I hear you about all the inspiration but lack of motivation. And for me it’s not really a lack of motivation even, it’s more like exhaustion! With the school year going and stuff, it seems it’s all I can do just to keep things rolling, there’s just no time to think about extras! But this is a season that will pass (all too quickly) and i’m definitely trying to embrace it! I loved looking through all the great pics in this post…and thanks for featuring my chalkboard. =)
    Laine recently posted..How to Make a Giant ChalkboardMy Profile

• Christina says:

oh you are welcome -love your chalkboard!

I looked for a while until I found that door and honestly thought I would have to pay more so was excited. I really wanted a 5 panel door but I do like this one too.

8. Yeah!!! Great deal, Christina! I know you are thrilled! Your headboard is going to be gorgeous. Let me know when you get it finished. 🙂
    xoxo
    Traci
    Traci recently posted..South of France Entertaining DecorMy Profile

• Christina says:

Thanks, Traci! 🙂 I will be sure to share it although it will be a little while. Excited to get started on it though.

9. Great find! Glad you were able to find what you wanted and at a fab price! Can’t wait to see the room redo since I will have seen the before in person!
    Renee@ Living Laughing & Loving recently posted..How to make your own Giant iPad Bulletin Board!My Profile