Right off of the kitchen is the dining room. I shared you a full before/after post of that room but will probably do an updated post of it next week.
And yes I have “open cabinets” but it isn’t intentional. We bought this house as a HUD home or government owned home. It was in really good condition but the cabinet door in the corner was missing. I think it must have fallen off and I wonder if it broke when it fell as it was no where to be found. I took the other door on the left off for 2 reasons – #1 to balance things out, and #2 to take it to the local home improvement stores to see if I could find a match. Bad news – no match. I would have to get a custom door made which would be a few $100. No thanks. I actually posted all about my cabinet dilemma in this post and discussed a few options. I just haven’t had the time to work on creating or finding glass paned doors (which is what I would to put there.)
Here’s the other side of the kitchen. Not sure that I am loving the crates and mason jars on top of the fridge but I really want to bring some “vintage” into this kitchen.
The paint colors in this room are Behr Classic Taupe (the lighter tan color) and the medium brown color is a custom mixed color by Behr.
Here’s another view of the back door in between the eat-in kitchen and the kitchen.
Now for some of the good, bad and ugly parts. This room needs the MOST updating but it will also require the most $$ and the most work. I have entire bedrooms upstairs that need updating but paint, some yard sale furniture and accessories, and fabric could make them brand new. Not so with this kitchen.
Things I love:
- I enjoy the layout of this room – it has a good “triangle” between the fridge, sink, and stove. And the dishwasher is in a great location too.
- I have a decent amount of cabinet space. I could use more, but I also know that many people may have less so I am thankful for mine.
- I love the tile we had put in a few years ago! It is so much easier to keep clean and get clean (I am a messy cook!)
- I love the open floor plan! While I am cooking I can still feel like I am in the same room with my husband in the living room. And if I am putting dishes in the dishwasher (notice I didn’t say “washing” dishes – I DESPISE washing dishes – why wash dishes when you have a dishwasher??) I can see into the living room and even see the TV.
- As many people are changing their cabinets and painting them white I am thankful mine are already white! I have a love/hate relationship with them though – hate that you can see every splatter, every smudge though.
Things I want to change: (where do I begin??)
- absolutely #1 on this list is the countertops!! I have hated those countertops from the very second I saw them when we were looking at the house. I think they look like puke smeared on the counter (sorry!) and they are impossible to tell if they are clean unless you look at them from an angle. But new countertops are not cheap I have debated painting them but haven’t been ready to tackle that yet.
- the cabinets – I do enjoy having them white BUT they desperately need a new coat of paint. I would like to take all the doors down, sand and repaint the entire kitchen and use laquer paint that is much easier to wipe down. That is one of the things I dislike – they are very hard to clean cause the finish is horrible.
- the missing cabinet doors – again see this post for what I would like to do.
- the cabinet handles – out with the brass, in with something much darker. And yes, I have mismatched cabinet handles right now. I am trying to start a new design trend – LOL! Actually I found and bought enough new pulls and handles for the entire kitchen at my parking lot yard sale last summer and I couldn’t wait to see what they would look like. But I need to repaint the cabinets before I put them up.
- I need to install quarter round under all the cabinets – never got it finished after the tile was installed.
- I need to find and create a “style” in here – feel like it is a hodpodge of stuff. Would like everything to look much more updated and modern.
- The light fixture. Oh, this fluorescent light fixture has got to go! I actually have a chandelier I found at a yard sale that I would like to put in here. I have installed plenty of light fixtures myself but I am not sure if this one is going to involve some ceiling patching and repair. Need to just take it down one day and see.
- Can we just talk about the countertops again?? this wood edge – it grates on my nerves every time I see it. I have threatened to paint it multiple times but hubby says no.
- The odd corner behind the sink – could be decorated better. Any suggestions?
- If and when we install a new countertop I plan on DIYing a backsplash. Not sure if I would do tile or beadboard?
So there’s the kitchen. So much that needs to be done but they are all pretty major projects. Hoping to accomplish at least the cabinet painting, cabinet knob switching, and light fixture replacement this year. And hopefully the cabinet doors. Although I really hate to do all that work and still have to look at puke on my countertops – LOL!
I spend a lot of time in this room and I do enjoy it – dislikes and all. Love the light that streams in from those bay windows. Is the kitchen the most used room in your house?
So tell me… what do you like and what would you change?
Any ideas on how to get new PRETTY countertops for less than $1000??