Over the next few weeks, I plan to share pictures of each room in our house – one room each week. I have rooms I have never even shared on the blog (because they aren’t finished or even started!) but maybe this will help motivate me.
Here’s a few things I plan to accomplish with this house tour:
1. I have wanted to add a home tour page on my blog so this will be the start of that. I will add before/after pictures of each room and then link to these individual posts.
2. I also want to share things I love and things I plan to change about each room. Would love to know what you think and any suggestions you have especially about the things I would like to change.
First room is our living room. We spend most of our waking time in this room (well, except maybe for all the time I spend in the kitchen!)
This picture was taken last year – January 2012. This room has not really ever gone a before/after or major transformation. Don’t think I really have a good older shot than this.
We bought the couches right after we moved to the house so they have been there since the beginning. We added the tv console 2 years ago and swapped out the coffee table for my $3.00 yard sale coffee table that I painted and stained. We lived with no curtains for quite a while until I finally found these about 4 years go. I thought I wanted to do red in the living room when I really started decorating it 5+ years ago. But as you know my style has definitely changed to white and lighter neutrals so that I can add pops of whatever color I wish.
This picture was taken last fall – October 2012.
I started making some changes to lighten up the living room right before the holidays – first up were changing out the curtains! I LOVE these bold striped curtains! You can see the full tutorial on how I painted them (yes, I painted my curtains!) here.
So here is the living room as it sits today.
I change out my mantel display seasonally so this is my winter mantel.
I painted this wall brown (Bittersweet Chocolate by Glidden) with a free quart of paint I got a few years back. I wanted to break up the “tan” – white/tan carpet, tan couch, and tan walls.
The other wall color is “Classic Taupe” by Behr. When we first bought our house we painted that color all throughout the house so that is still our primary color. But I have been repainting and changing colors in individual rooms since (such as the beautiful gray color “Urban Sunrise” in our dining room and upstairs guest bathroom.)
Our living room opens up to our eat-in-kitchen (which I will share next week) and the kitchen. That is one of the first things we loved about this house – the open concept!
Now for the things I love and things I plan to change.
Things I love:
- the brown and white striped curtains -( I made those curtains – find all the details on how I painted them here!)
- my $3.00 coffee table (although it could probably use another coat of poly on top)
- my mantel/fireplace that I can decorate all throughout the year
- the layout – because of the way the room is laid out (walls, fireplace, stairs, etc.) there is no other way to arrange the room so I sort of have to love it.
and of course I love the little white kitty (Casper) sunning in the room!
He is definitely staying
Things I plan to change:
- the floral art on the wall next to the stairs is going – have a DIY project planned to replace it (and of course it is more neutral/white )
- I need to make some more DIY envelope pillow covers and add some more pillows – want to find some brighter colors, whites/creams to bring in.
- I am over this chocolate brown wall color and the things I have hanging on it. It is too dark for me. I actually have some paint swatches painted on the wall behind the couch but the husband said no to the robin’s egg blue color.
I am debating about doing some kind of wainscoting like Tonya at Love Family & Home did. Love her gallery wall above the couch too. I just don’t know what color paint I would do above the wainscoting?
- I also plan on changing out the things on this end table. I have been looking for a new lamp (found it this weekend so look for an update on that soon!) and I will shop the house for some new accessories too.
- And see that open area by the curtains? I want to add an arm chair and ottoman and maybe a small side table? We could really use some more seating and I also think that it would help balance the living room.
- And I would really like to repaint. The room needs a new coat of paint since it was done 9 years ago. But the paint has faded since so just touching up with the original paint doesn’t match. I would like to go with more of a grey/beige color or greige. Any suggestions?
So there it is! Our living room and what I love and plan to change. Overall this room is put together and “done” for now so I am happy with that. The changes I want to make I can do as I have time and still have a livable/pretty room. If we were to look for a house again though, we would definitely try to find a larger living room – would love to have a little more space to have larger groups of people over but we make it work.
What room do you spend the most time in? Got some things you would like to change this year in your living room?