Pinterest inspired project: Clothespin wreath

clothespin wreath

I shared last week on facebook that the end of February is sneaking up on me fast.  And I had quite a few things still to do if I was going to complete my goals for this month!  Happy to report I accomplished quite a few this weekend, one of which was my Pinterest inspired project for February.

(I made a huge list of goals for 2012 and one was to…“Do and blog about a monthly Pinterest project – start doing some of those wonderful projects I have been pinning.” )

I had seen and pinned several wreaths made out of clothespins that I loved!

This one was probably my favorite…

Pinned Image

Pinned from Budget Wise Home

And I loved this one that also looked like a sunburst mirror

Pinned from Design Sponge

Then I found this wreath on A Soft Place to Land made on a metal wreath form.

And I knew exactly what I was going to do.  Winking smile

It all started when I was shopping at Dollar General with the 50% coupon.  I came across some bags of 50 clothespin that were $1.00, so only 50¢ after coupon.    (I checked prices on the vintage type clothespins and they were $3.99 for a bag of 25 at Hobby Lobby.  I liked my $1.00 for 100 clothespins price much better!)

I also had this metal wreath form leftover from my evergreen Christmas wreath from last year, that I also used for my FREE boxwood wreath this year.  All the boxwood clippings were dead and brown so I cut them off so I could re-use the metal wreath.

This was a seriously simple and easy project.  I started pinning the clothespins around the wreath.

I tried a couple different ways and found that I liked the staggered look better.

So this is the door to my laundry room.  (I actually painted and decorated my laundry room a year or so ago and I need to share that with you.  I have a few more things I want to complete in there and then I will show you the whole room.  I plan to start sharing some house tour posts starting in March showing you one room at a time – before and after pictures, DIY projects and more!  So look for those soon!)

I was seriously DONE with the ivy basket on the front of the door.  So into the yard sale bin it went.

And on the door went my new clothespin wreath!  I used about 85 clothespins on the whole wreath.

But it still needed something.  So I tipped the outer clothespins out so they weren’t all flat.  Better….

But it still needed something else (lest I forget that the door led to the laundry room Winking smile )

So I made a little banner from some scrap white fabric I had (following the same method I used on my “Fall” banner), added some little yellow flowers from my flower stash, and it was DONE!

I LOVE it!  So cute and festive!  The colors in my laundry room are yellow, white and black (which you will see in my tour later) so it goes perfectly.

And for $1.00 for the clothespins and some craft supplies I already had on hand, I think I can call this a successful, frugal, Pinterest-inspired project.   Plus I can check a goal off my list – double happiness! Smile

Now I better get back to taking care of those piles of dirty laundry behind that door!   At least I have something pretty on the door to look at now. Smile

How about you?  Done any Pinterest-inspired projects lately?  Share them in the comments – I would love to come “pin” them. Winking smile

Sometimes I link up to these wonderful parties:

Sarahndipities, Skip to my Lou, Today’s Creative Blog, How to Nest for Less, Home Stories A to Z,Apron Thrift Girl, Tools are for women too, Not just a Housewife, A bowl full of lemons, Uncommon Designs Online, Someday Crafts, No Minimalist Here, Somewhat Simple, 36th Avenue, Sew Much Ado, The Style Sisters, The Thrifty Home, Domestically Speaking, House of Hepworths, The Shabby Creek Cottage, Weekend Blogging party at Serenity Now, Tatertots and Jello, Funky Junk InteriorsThe Girl CreativeMiss Mustard Seed, Chic on a Shoestring Decorating,Remodelaholic, The Lettered Cottage, Before and after party at Thrifty Decor Chick, Pinterest Challenge at Young House Love

Comments

thanks, Renee! I tried something different using cursive letters. One of these days I will do a banner through a Cricut or something but I like my DIY versions too – they are quick and easy. :)

Thanks, Jenny! I don’t think I will have another Pinterest project ready by next Wednesday but when I do I will come link up :)

Well, I don’t think normal dollar stores have coupons, unfortunately :) BUT, Dollar General does have coupons all the time on their site. And they have offered the 50% housewares coupon each year in February :)

thanks, Susan!

I came over and joined the community – just trying to figure out how to link up and/or view other projects.

1. LinhC says

Super cute wreath! I made a clothespin wreath where one side is Christmas colors and the other side is Winter colors. I glued strips of scrapbook paper on each clothespin…took a long time but I love it.

that does sound like it would take a while – but at least you can use it for 2 seasons! :) This one was super simple! and super cheap. Love those kind of projects

Love this wreath! It is so cute. I never would have thought to hang it on the laundry room door. I saw it and thought how cute it was but thought I wouldn’t have room for it, yet your idea of hanging it on the door is great. I will be making this and it will make me smile when I have to use the dreaded laundry room! :)
    I pinned this to find it when I am ready to make it.
    Thanks!

Yep, I LOVE hanging wreaths on doors inside :) Have too many wreaths and wreath ideas to just hang them on the front door :)

Visiting from Transformation Thursday. I absolutely love this project and you are truly talented!

Thanks for the inspiration and have a great weekend.

blessings,
    *thistle*

I’m so in love with this wreath! Seems like lately you see a lot of projects with clothespins, but this one totally blows the rest away! Its so springy and fresh (like fresh laundry? haha) You should totally enter this project in two of Craftbaby’s Challenges. There are 2 categories it would fit in… ‘Upcycle It Challenge’ which is here: http://www.craftbaby.com/contests/3/upcycle-it-sweeps as well as the ‘Spring Wreath Challenge’ which is here: http://www.craftbaby.com/contests/5/spring-diy-wreath-sweeps
    :-)

5. JoAnna Qazaqzeh says

I love this website and would like some insite on how to make my new home (small front porch with lots of potiential) in which I am purchasing in January 1, 2013. To look more homy I like what you did with the welcome mat, and potted plants and bench look but I dont want it to look crowded. Please help anyone I could send photos…..by the way I would like a vintage….southern type look. Love the pumpkins, too.

hi Joanna! I love to browse Pinterest.com and other blogs to get ideas. Your new home sounds pretty – how exciting!