Day 22 – Shop for décor at the Dollar Store

31 days button

This post is part of a 31 day series – “31 days to decorate your home on a budget.”  You can read all the posts in this series here.

And if you don’t want to miss a post you can subscribe by email, join me on facebook, or follow this blog in your reader.  Thanks for reading along!

When you are looking for cheap décor, don’t forget to check your local dollar store.  There is an endless supply of decor, craft supplies, holiday supplies, and more at the Dollar Store.

Here are some things I have found or made from Dollar Store items:

Love these great vinyl sayings found at Dollar Tree.

I applied one of them to this platter…

and applied the other one to a $1.00 wood plaque I bought at a yard sale.

These hurricanes were made from Dollar store supplies Smile

hurricanes 2

Here are some other crafts and home décor that I found online made from Dollar store items:

Candle holders (spray painted) and mirrors from Dollar Tree

Pinned Image

Tiered Dessert stands (You have to click over and see what she made these from! :)

Easter Egg wreath

Little white wreath (made from powder puffs)

Pinned Image

Another vinyl saying on a platter

Pinned Image

Cheap orange pumpkins painted white

Sarah made this fall wreath from Dollar Store leaves

Pinned Image

I need to look for these bowls next time I am there – LOVE this bowl on a stand!

Pinned Image

Another candlestick idea

Pinned Image

Love these mirrored boxes!  Another one to add to my list. Smile

These table runners even came from the Dollar store (you have to see what these are made of too!)

And I am envisioning – silver candlesticks, those mirrored boxes, the runners – the start to a gorgeous Christmas table!! :)  You just might be seeing something like this in my house for Christmas this year.  Gotta love getting inspired while writing my own blog post. Winking smile

This cute flower basket all came from the Dollar store.

Pinned Image

Another vinyl saying on a tray made into pretty wall art for the bedroom.

Pinned Image

Some fun art for your kitchen – buy some cheap silverware at the dollar store

Pinned Image

Love this framed pumpkin – so adorable!

Cupcake stands!

and some more stands

Pinned Image

Dollar tree bird and frame – so cute!

DSCF8315

Allison made this fall wreath all from Dollar store supplies

DSCN5281

So next time you are out, run by your local Dollar store and see what you can find!  My stores already have Christmas stuff out.

What is your favorite Dollar store item or craft?  Ever created anything using Dollar store items?

Comments

Either I’m just not seeing these items in my local Dollar store or they don’t carry them because every time I go in, I am underwhelmed with what they carry. I’ll have to go again and make sure I check every aisle because I love some of these ideas!

I have seen most if not all of these items at my local Dollar Tree. Do you have Dollar Tree? I am actually heading there tomorrow to stock up on some stuff to make a few of those projects! :)

Love that powder puff wreath! Hope you don’t mind if I pinned this on Pinterest. That’s the first pin in my “Christmas Ideas” section. :-)

Pin away!! :) I have most of these picture already pinned. :) I like the powder puff one too – love when you take something unusual and turn it into something cute!

awww, thanks, Carly! glad you enjoyed it! I will try to do some regular Dollar store crafts/decor posts so if you see any ideas or find something great there – forward it to me!

oh, and I love your blog name! I so was trying to come up with a play on those words – Faith, Home, Love or Family and Frugality for my blog. But I couldn’t find one that wasn’t already taken – probably came across your blog in the process. ;)

oh, and you are a fellow 31-dayer too – yay! :) Good topic! we can accomplish a lot in 31 minutes if we put our minds too it! :)

I’ve bought and made some great decor things from Dollar Tree over the years! My favorite is definitely the hurricanes, I’ve made them for myself, for gifts and for decor at church for banquets. They are so versatile!

did you see the 3 tiered thing too, Laine?? I think I like the vintage pie pan one better but if couldn’t find those – the stove cover one looks pretty awesome too! :)

Thanks for the mention of my table runners and mirrored boxes. :) Canada’s version of The Dollar Tree or Dollar General is Dollarama. It is a f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c dollar store. My halloween wreath is a crowd favourite. :)~ karen!

I didn’t know you lived in Canada! I went to our Dollar Tree and no such luck on the garbage bags :( but I may have another source for something like it. Also our Dollar Tree only carried rectangular mirrors not square so need to check somewhere else.

I LOVE the mirrored boxes – plan on incorporating them in my formal Thanksgiving table.

You are welcome for the mention – thanks for the inspiration!! ;)

Jennifer said she couldn’t find them either? I wonder if it is your area? I was at our DT tonight and they had TONS! Make sure to check the wallpaper section.

your wreath is so fun! I saw one like it on the drive home the other day, and thought, “I need to make a wreath like that – like Allison’s!” :)

5. Donnita says

Hey Christina – Love this post – can you answer a couple questions for me – I love my DT and I bought these vinyl signs and they are laying on a shelf in my craft room!!!! Can you tell me what you use or how you attach them to the platters? and two can you tell me what product you use to attach the hurricanes to the candlesticks?

Thanks so much! Loving your site!

the vinyl signs I bought were from Dollar Tree and they are stickers. so I just stuck them onto the platters.

and the hurricane candlesticks – I used gorilla glue. You have to use pressure with gorilla glue as it expands to create a bond. so set something on top of them. I used hot glue for some other ones and they came apart eventually. I would think super glue would work too.