Painted dresser makeover

You have probably noticed this dresser in my entryway in past posts.  I am finally getting around to sharing how it came to live in my house and the before/after process.

I found this dresser at my parking lot yard sale and paid $25 for it.  I LOVE French Provincial style furniture and instantly loved this piece (and the price!)

Painted dresser makeover

Someone had already done a paint job on it at one time but it wasn’t done very well.  The paint felt very rough and was spotty and chipping in places.  But nothing that some sanding, paint, and a little work couldn’t fix.

Painted dresser makeover

I first removed the handles and stuck them down in box so I could spray paint them.  I painted them oil rubbed bronze with some Krylon Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint that I always keep on hand.

Painted dresser makeover

Then I wiped down the dresser and got to work.

Painted dresser makeover

I sanded the top quite a bit to get it nice and smooth.

And then gave it 2 coats of Valspar Signature Paint and Primer in One and 1 coat of water based clear polycyclic.

Painted dresser makeover

And here is the finished product!

Painted dresser makeover

The finish is so much smoother and shinier.  Although I don’t think I let the top cure as long as I needed to and things tend to “stick” to it.  So at some point I will need to lightly sand the top and re-poly it.

Painted dresser makeover

I LOVE having this dresser in my entryway.  It is pretty and gives me another “display spot” to decorate, but it is also very functional as well.  I plan to share a post soon on what I store in the drawers of the 2 dressers I have in my upstairs and downstairs hallways.

Love the finish now!

Painted dresser makeover

And love the spray painted handles too.  They made a big difference.

Painted dresser makeover

You can see how I turned some thrift store art into a DIY chalkboard here and how I spray painted a set of $3 brass thrift store lamps here.  And the tray, books, and white candy dish were yard sale finds too.  Guess this is my yard sale/ thrift store corner  (oh, wait that is pretty much my entire house!)

Painted dresser makeover

Do you like to find and makeover yard sale or thrift store furniture?

I have quite a few pieces in the garage I can’t wait to get started on.  I love seeing the transformation and breathing new life into an old piece that I then get to enjoy in my home.

Comments

1. Heather C. says:

I’ve always loved this dresser….every time you posted a pic of your entryway. Seems easy enough to do! I’ll have to keep my eye out on Craigslist for something that I can repurpose 🙂

• Christina says:

thanks, Heather! Yes, Craigslist is good but even better is yard sales or flea markets. I always want to find a new piece and will stalk craigslist for a while and then realize I will never find a $20-25 deal like I find at yard sales.

2. SO beautiful!!! I love dressers used in unexpected places. Way to go refinishing it!!!!
    Christa @ BrownSugarToast recently posted..West Elm InspirationMy Profile

3. I love how the details on the dresser still shine through…so pretty and functional!! : )

4. Lanita Anderson says:

I love how your painted dresser turned out!! I especially love the detailing on the drawers and the color you chose for the hardware. My husband loves to refinish furniture, but doesn’t usually paint the pieces. Maybe after seeing this, I can talk him into painting a piece!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Lanita

• Christina says:

oh, yes sometimes you just have to paint! I love wood too but most pieces I find aren’t solid hardwood and would be hard ot get a nice stained finish on.

5. Donna Duffy says:

I love the design in the drawers, looks great. I want to paint my small but useful desk white one day. I am getting so inspired by all my lady bloggers

6. I love it! We have a similar piece in that was mine as a young girl. It got makeover love a few years back.
    Ginger recently posted..Thursday Morning: Spring BreakMy Profile

• Christina says:

yes, I have some French provincial furniture sitting in my guest room from my childhood waiting to be redone too. I love that style.

7. Love your redone dresser! Great job on it – you have a beautiful home!
    Teri Henningsen recently posted..Ode to the RETURN of the trumpet vine tree!!!My Profile

8. Oh it’s so pretty! I love the details on it, you did a great job fixing it up.
    Debbie 🙂
    Debbie recently posted..Glass Blocks to Play WithMy Profile

9. This is really lovely!!! Inspires me to go thrifting!

10. Hi, I am curious did you use spray paint or paint in a jar?

1. […] have shown you before that I bought a dresser at a yard sale, repainted it, and then use it as an “entryway table” in my fro…  Not only does it add pretty display space, it adds storage and function to my home […]