It’s January 2nd and most people are thinking about the fresh start that a new year brings. Things they want to accomplish this year, goals they want to achieve, “New Year’s resolutions”, etc. I don’t set New Year’s resolutions but I do like to set GOALS for the new year.
I set a bunch of goals for 2012 and although I didn’t accomplish all of them (or maybe even half of them) at least I set goals! If I had never set any goals, I wouldn’t have reached any of them.
I tend to expect way too much out of myself which led to setting too many goals and trying to accomplish too much. I also don’t have the greatest self-discipline as others do either, so while my list was completely accomplishable, for my level of discipline it is not. While Money Saving Mom could have accomplished my goal list 3 times over last year, I am not her! So this year I hope to set fewer, more attainable goals AND increase my self discipline/motivation to get them done so I can have more crossed off at the end of the year.
And also writing down my goals and sharing them here really helps with accountability. It helps me have a written list that I can go back to and check myself on. Last year I did a goal update post each month. This year, I won’t do a new post each month, but will just go back to this original post and update it and then share it on facebook.
I am using the same categories as last year with different goals under each one.
Grow closer to the Lord
- daily Bible reading
- read several devotional books
- make prayer a priority – work on a missionary/family/friends prayer list and a prayer journal
Make our marriage a priority
- date nights every other Friday night – going to start a date night jar or list that we will choose from to vary up and add some variety in things we will do – out to eat, coffee date, game night, movie night, take a walk, make dinner together, double date with another couple, etc.
- family day every other Tuesday
- find ways to encourage him – notes, texts, calls, special lunches, encouraging words
- make more meaningful memories/develop traditions together as a family – holidays, trips, routines, special days. Any tips on how you do this in your family?
Grow as a better woman, wife, homemaker
- Read at least 6 books this year (I would actually like to read 12, but had that goal last year and only read 3 so starting smaller this year.)
- Make healthier choices for myself – exercise, eat healthy, get enough rest
- Get my home organized and clean and maintain it – start with massive re-organization/purging this winter, develop a weekly cleaning schedule, keep main living area 30 min. to company clean.
- Menu plan, incorporate new recipes into our family (at least one a month), cook more from scratch.
- Do a homemade/clean living project each month and add that permanently to our household. I want to incorporate homemade cleaners, soaps, mixes, etc. into our home. Like my homemade taco seasoning. Here are some I plan to tackle in 2013 – homemade laundry detergent, homemade glass cleaner, homemade floor cleaner, homemade furniture polish, and more!
Continue to grow my blog
- blog about my monthly homemade/clean living project
- learn how to take better photos/use my camera better – have a course I need to work through. Plan to do that in January/February.
- Continue to bring you budget friendly ways you can decorate your home on a budget.
- attend at least one blog conference – already bought my ticket to Haven, yay!
- manage my time better with work/family/social media
- do and share lots of DIY projects, crafts, room redo’s and more – will share my Home Goals for 2013 in a later post
Be a good steward of our finances
- save more this year by managing our money better
- continue to save towards the purchase of a car. We saved almost to our goal last year even with low finances in November/December. But we haven’t need to purchase a car yet so will continue to save.
- increase our general savings or savings for retirement
- give more – find valid areas outside of our church to this or maybe take on a missionary for support as a family?
Minister to those around me
- have guests in our home once a month – making this a goal yet again so I have something to strive towards.
- minister to others – write our college kids regularly, write a handwritten note to someone else at least once a month.
So there we go! Some are the same as last year since I didn’t accomplish them last year, or they are things I need to work on each year.
What are some goals you have for this year? How did you do on your goals last year?