Happy New Year to you! I had hoped to get this post up this past week but our family got away for a little winter getaway in TN and I just concentrated on enjoying our time together. You can check out Instagram to see some beautiful snowy scenes that we got to enjoy in the Smoky Mountains – so fun for this southerner who doesn’t get to see snow very often.
As I put home renovations and projects on hold during the holiday season I was also thinking of what my goals/plans for tackling home projects would be for this year. We have been in our home now for 7 months and also have a 7 month old baby. Although I can be a bit frustrated with myself that we aren’t further along in making this house into our home, I also have to go back and remember where we started at the before pictures and realize that I really have accomplished a lot (especially considering I had a newborn for much of those months!). We did a ton of work outside during the summer which took a LOT of time.
But I think that part of my frustration stems from not having really any room “finished” or “pretty” or at least gotten to the completion stage of phase 1 in some rooms that will require multiple phases of work as we tackle big projects or save for phase 2 and 3.
Thanks to new flooring and new paint the living room is looking the most “finished” of all rooms although there is still really nothing on walls – I do have curtains now which I need to show you!
But in the rest of the house – boxes are unpacked, all rooms except for master and laundry room are painted, rooms are settled, new flooring is installed in 90% of the house…but very few rooms have even one thing on the wall, furniture may need to be rearranged or repainted to make it work better, most rooms have no curtains, and all the decorating and finishing touches just aren’t done. The painting and unpacking and just getting some rooms repaired and functional took a lot of time this past year but I am ready to start adding and seeing the pretty finishing touches! Most of the rooms also have trim and character and things like that that I hope to add over time.
So here’s my plan for 2017 –
Tackle one room at a time until it is finished or at least finish stage 1 if it will require multiple larger projects.
With that in mind here’s my tentative plan for what rooms and projects I hope to work on this year:
1. Guest room – phase 1 (paint room, paint furniture, arrange and decorate)
2. Nursery – finish and reveal (paint, add organization to closet, do accent wall of wood, build shelves, curtains, decorate)
3. Guest bathroom – finish (paint room, paint cabinets, build shelves, build towel rack, frame in mirror, add finishing touches)
4. Laundry room – phase 1 (paint room, add trim and storage/hooks on wall, new flooring)
5. Entryway – (paint, add decor on walls)
6. Kitchen – phase 1 (paint, blinds/curtains, new appliances), phase 2 (new flooring)
7. Living room – phase 1 (paint, curtains, add decor to wall), possibly phase 2 (new furniture and add built ins)
8. Office – (paint, add shelving and storage into closet, blinds, curtains, arrange room, organize and decorate)
9. Bonus room – paint, paint furniture, build headboards, arrange room
10. Attic – build shelves for storage
11. Outdoor – continue work (add more plants and landscaping in front yard, stain fence, paint shed, begin landscaping in back yard around house and pool, find/paint/redo pool furniture and patio furniture)
12. Master bedroom –- doubt I will get much done in this room this year but if I have time I would love to!
Yes, I totally added things to the list that have already been done because crossing those off helps me to see I have a start on that list! I am sure there will be furniture painting, and decorating projects or things that come up that I will have to tackle mid-room, but I plan to really focus on one room at a time getting it as finished as possible. I would also love to build some furniture for our home too so not sure if that will happen this year or not.
Come back tomorrow and I will show you the first room I am working on – before and where it is now plus my plans for how I want it to look. I’ve been busy painting some furniture and getting it arranged and can’t wait to see the phase 1 finish soon!
What’s your home plans or goals for this year?